The Portland Chapter of MOAA
meets most months for dinner or brunch and to enjoy entertainment and speakers on timely topics. Come join us in the camaraderie. The chapter recently won another 5-Star recognition from the national MOAA (the best award for active chapters), making this the tenth in a row.
The next meeting of the Portland Chapter will be Saturday, Nov. 3, at Hayden’s Lakefront Grill in Tualatin. The brunch begins at 10 a.m. with social time starting at 9 a.m. Guest speaker will be Ben Berry, who will speak on “Flaps Berry, Tuskegee Airman.”
Keynote speaker Col Scott D. Peel, USAF, his fiancé, Emily Barton (left), and Chapter President Col Mary J. Meyer, USAF (Ret), share a moment before the October meeting at Hayden’s Lakefront Grill in Tualatin. Col Peel gave an update on space programs.
Reasons to Join the Portland Chapter
If you’re on active duty, a National Guard or Reserve officer, retired or served earlier, you should consider joining the Portland Chapter of MOAA. Dues are only $25 a year. Here are a few reasons why you should join:
• Strength is in numbers, and when we stand together we can get much more accomplished to benefit our brave service members and to take care of our members who have served.
• Our chapter helps support retired veterans at their home in The Dalles and Lebanon.
• We support our courageous soldiers of the Oregon National Guard who are deployed on operations outside the state and overseas.
• We help keep the military in front of area young people and the public and tout the benefits of serving our country.
• We participated in the fight to keep the Oregon ANG 142nd Fighter Wing in Portland, which was successful.
• Earlier, we fought Oregon’s unfair taxation of military retirees (and other federal retirees) who were being taxed on their retirement income when other retirees were not. Our Portland Chapter joined with other groups to fight this, taking it to the state Supreme Court. We won, and today you may benefit from that if you’re retired. If you’re not retired yet, you could benefit from it when you do. Retirees are taxed on the amount of their retired pay earned after 1 October 1991.
• We participate statewide in activities sponsored by the MOAA State Council of Chapters and the United Veterans’ Groups of Oregon to tackle state legislative issues affecting you and other veterans around Oregon. Your membership in the Portland Chapter supports these worthwhile efforts.
•We also have an active Surviving Spouse group, headed by Mrs. Jean Hillman. If you are interested in the Surviving Spouse group and would like to become involved, please contact Mrs. Hillman at 503-692-5571 or email@example.com for further information.
Your membership in the Portland Chapter of MOAA keeps your voice in Washington strong as well as in the state’s capital and here at home. Dues are only $25 a year. Please support your local chapter.
You can send a check for $25, made out to PDX-MOAA, to our mailing address:
P.O. Box 68959
Portland, OR 97268
Click on the Membership Application page for an application that you may fill-out and return to us by mail.